Medical, Mental Health, and Prescription Drug
Our Student Health Insurance Plan covers care you may need beyond what our Student Health Center and the Counseling Center can provide. For example, if you become seriously ill or injured, your insurance will help you pay for hospitalization and specialist care.
Designed specifically for Caltech students, the plan covers all types of medical and mental health care — routine, urgent and emergency — while you are on campus, at home, and even traveling abroad. You can receive care from the best local doctors near campus as well as a large national network of top-quality doctors.
How the Plan Works
The Student Health Insurance Plan is provided through UnitedHealthcare Student Resources (UHCSR).
- Doctors: You may receive care from any doctor or hospital. But the Plan pays more — and you pay less — when you use UHCSR Preferred (PPO) doctors.
- Routine Office Visits: When you go to a UHCSR doctor for a routine office visit, you pay a $15 copay. Any extra care, such as lab work or x-rays, is subject to the plan’s deductible and coinsurance.
- Prescription Drugs: When you use UHCSR Preferred (PPO) pharmacies, the Plan pays 80% of the cost (no deductible). See the Prescription Drug List.
- Other Covered Services: You first pay a $150 annual deductible (per person). Then the Plan pays 80% when you use providers in Aetna’s PPO network.
- Out-of-Pocket Maximum: Once your costs reach the $1,500 annual out-of-pocket maximum, the Plan pays 100% for eligible services for the rest of the policy year.
- Telehealth: With our new Telehealth benefit, available through HealthiestYou, you can connect with a U.S. Board-certified doctor 24/7, 365 days a year via your phone, tablet, or computer, usually within an hour. You can use the Telehealth service at no cost to you if you are enrolled in the Caltech Student Medical Plan (otherwise, you can use the service for $40 per visit). Register today so you'll be all set to use Telehealth when you need it.
Be sure to set up your UHCSR MyAccount to access your ID card and online services.
For Additional Information
- UHCSR Enrollment/Waiver Portal
- How to Choose a Doctor
- 2017-18 Student Medical: How It Works
- 2016-17 Student Medical: How It Works (coverage ending 8/31/17)
- Detailed Plan Brochure (2017-18)
- Detailed Plan Brochure (2016-17)
- Medical Claim Form
- Prescription Drug Claim Form
- UHC Allies Discount Program
- UHCSR website
- HealthiestYou website
Or call UHCSR at (888) 251-5640.
Leaving Caltech? Learn about your options for continuing coverage.
Going overseas? Learn about your medical coverage while traveling abroad.