Search Search

Who Can Enroll

If you’re a registered Caltech undergraduate or graduate student, you’re eligible for Caltech student Medical and Dental insurance.

For an additional charge, you may also enroll your spouse or same-sex domestic partner and eligible dependent children. 

Coverage is required! All registered students must have medical and dental insurance — either Caltech insurance or other insurance that meets Caltech’s waiver requirements.

Dependent Coverage

Although you can add an eligible dependent to your Caltech Student Health coverage, you might find it to be more cost effective to cover your dependent via other coverage such as:

  • Your spouse or same sex domestic partner's employer-sponsored plan
  • Covered California, which offers affordable health insurance under the Affordable Care Act (Health Care Reform)

Please keep in mind that there are limits on when you can enroll a dependent in coverage. For example, when you have a new child, you must enroll your child in a health insurance plan (through Caltech, another employee, or Covered California) within 30 or 31 days of the child's date of birth.

Covered California

Covered California is the state’s health insurance marketplace, created under the Affordable Care Act. It offers a range of choices of private health insurance plans. You can choose the health plan and level of coverage that best meets your needs and budget. You can remain in the Caltech plan and still enroll your dependent in a Covered California plan. 

For additional information, visit Covered California for some helpful Covered California FAQs and videos.