Search Search

Frequently Asked Questions

Q: If I'm covered by my parent's insurance plan or other coverage, why would I need the Caltech medical insurance?
A: The Caltech Student Medical Plan, offered through UnitedHealthcare StudentResources, is designed to meet the needs of students and helps pay for covered medical care, prescription drugs, and mental health services your student receives while at school, at home, and while traveling or studying abroad.

Q: How do I add coverage mid-year if I waived during the enrollment/waiver period?
A: If you need to add coverage mid-year, you will need to reach out to Please note you will need to show proof that you lost other coverage before your request can be approved.

Q: How do I add a dependent to my student health insurance?
A: You can add your dependent(s) during the enrollment/waiver period each summer. If you need to add coverage for a dependent mid-year please reach out to or come to the HR office. Please note you will need to re-enroll your dependents each year.

Q: How do I obtain a copy of my 1095(b) form?
A: Log into My Account through Once you are signed in there is a section for "Tax Information" towards the bottom of the page on the left hand side of the menu.

Q: How can I make sure I visit an in-network provider?
A: Please use the following links to search for an in-network provider for:

UHCSR Medical/Prescription

UHCSR Mental Health

Delta Dental PPO

Eyemed Vision

Q: Where can I obtain a copy of my insurance card(s)?
A: Please use the following links to access your insurance card(s):

UHCSR My Account 

UHC StudentResources App (Android)

UHC StudentResources App (Apple)

Delta Dental Student Website

Eyemed Website 

Q: Why couldn't my doctor verify my medical eligibility with UnitedHealthcare StudentResources?
A: Many providers assume that UnitedHealthcare StudentResources is the same as UnitedHealthcare, when in fact it is a separate entity. To avoid claims being filed incorrectly with UnitedHealthcare it is important that you provide front and back copies of your ID card. If you tell them you are just covered by UnitedHealthcare they may assume incorrectly.

Q: Who can I talk to if I have questions about insurance bills or Explanation of Benefits?
A: Please email or call 626-395-6443 to make an appointment to come to HR.

Q: Why did I receive an out-of-network bill for a visit to an in-network hospital?
A: Most services received at an in-network hospital, even for emergencies are processed at the in-network level, but some services received such as: ambulances for emergency transport, emergency room physicians, and anesthesiologists usually do not participate in any networks.

Q: Who do I talk to about a charge on my bursar account that I believe is incorrect?
A: Send an email to, call 626-395-6443, or come to the HR office on campus.